7 Aug 2013

REVIEW: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving



Title: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Author: Washington Irving
Publication Date: May 7th 2011 (originally published 1819)
Publisher: Createspace
Format: Paperback
Pages: 44
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: 
This classic tale of New England terror recounts the frightening events that took place in Sleepy Hollow, New York, during the late eighteenth century. Originally published in 1820, Washington Irving's masterful work of short fiction has entertained readers and influenced writers of horror for almost 200 years. The story's popularity eventually introduced a worldwide audience to two of literature's most iconic characters: the Headless Horseman and Ichabod Crane.
Review: Before reading ‘The Hollow’ by Jessica Verday, which is based around this book, I had not heard about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow ever before but I was determined to pick it up before I read the second and third books in the series. I think because it’s an American classic, it sort of got lost between America and Australia. Even if it had been more widely known, I admit that I probably never would have picked it up due to the fact it’s marked as ‘horror’. In all honestly, I don’t think it’s horror at all- maybe I expected something more terrifying, but it didn’t bother me one bit.

Due to the original publication date of 1819, some of the language is a bit strange compared to what I’m used to- some of slang and the importance of some aspects were lost on me, which admittedly probably away from the story a bit but the actual story intrigued me so much that I found it didn’t make that much of a difference while I was reading it.

The story was very different than how I pictured it in my mind- after reading The Hollow, I was expecting something a bit scarier with a bit more romance. I was a little bit disappointed that it missed some of these things, but ultimately it did make up for that. In the future, I look forward to maybe exploring some more of Washington Irving’s work.