30 Jul 2013

REVIEW: OMG by Kathy Clark and Bob Wernly



Title: OMG (CUL8R #1)
Author: Kathy Clark and Bob Wernly (BobKat)
Publication Date: November 29th 2012
Publisher: Createspace
Format: E-book
Pages: 182
Rating: 4/5
Blurb:
Young Adult first place winner for 2013 of The Best Indie Book Awards and finalist in the Beverly Hills Book Awards for 2013.

OMG is a fast-paced time travel action adventure about four teens who travel back to the past to solve a mystery and save a life but end up risking their own.

OMG begins when Kelly moves to Fort Myers Beach, Florida to live with her aunt and finds hidden treasures and secrets. She quickly becomes friends with her quirky next door neighbor Scott who has a reputation as the school’s number one geek. Scott’s best friend is Austin, the hot and popular quarterback. He joins Scott and Kelly as they embark on an adventure after Scott invents a way to travel back in time to find a girl who has begged for their help. They solve the mystery, but are then faced with the dilemma of whether or not to right a wrong or to let history stand. The four end up on the time travel adventure of their lives.
Review: OMG was sent to ABookSoFathomless by the authors, Kathy and Bob, but my review has not been influenced by this and so everything below are my own opinions.

When Chami and I were first pitched this book, it sounded amazing- a time travel action adventure- how could you possibly get any cooler than that? I’ll admit that my experience with time travel is limited pretty much to Doctor Who so the idea seemed even cooler because of that. While the time travel in this book is completely different, I definitely wasn’t disappointed with it.

I love Kelly as a character- I liked how energetic and positive she was despite the things that had happened to her. I much preferred reading about her starting to rebuild her life in a new place straight away rather than reading her moping around for most of the book. Scott and Austin were both awesome in their own way- I loved how they are almost completely opposite to one another but they still manage to be best friends. I really liked how they were so accepting of Kelly and how they really helped her to settle in.

Like the blurb says, the book is fast-paced and the plot is so unique and enjoyable that the entire book was very easy and quick to read. I especially liked that the time travel wasn’t just about going back in time for the sake of it but it was actually to solve a mystery and ultimately, to save a life. Though they were able to enjoy the time travel and all, I really liked that they had a higher purpose. The actual time travelling itself was written so differently than what I’d been expecting (no blue policebox here) but again, it was believable and unique therefore making the book even more enjoyable.

As for the writing, though the book is obviously written by both Kathy and Bob, I think it was written so smoothly that you really can’t tell any difference between the two. I don’t know how they organised the writing of the book (whether they took it chapter by chapter or whatever) but for me, it all just flowed into each other so nicely that I don’t think you could tell. The style was so easy to read and despite it being a time travel action adventure novel, there weren’t any terms or ideas that were completely foreign to me or that I couldn’t understand. As you can probably imagine, there’s nothing better than reading a book that has a wonderful set of characters, a good plot and an easy writing style.

The sequel, BRB, is waiting patiently for me to read in August which I am completely excited for now! Obviously I’ll be posting a review up for that too but until then, I would definitely recommend that all of you get your hands on this book as soon as possible- it’s completely brilliant.