11 Mar 2013

BOOK DISCUSSION: Books that made you cry



For this post, I’ve decided to branch out from the sort of post that we’d usually do here, and because I hope to do more posts like this in the future, I’ve decided to call them ‘Book Discussions’. I don’t think they really need explanation, though I have no idea how I would even begin to explain it with all these thoughts that are running through my head at the moment. Anyway, the point is that I plan to do one of these posts about once a month.

This month’s topic is, books that made you cry. This topic has been circling in my brain for about six months now at which time the majority of my ‘reader’ friends and I first read ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ by John Green. Now, I cried during that book- I mean I really sobbed uncontrollably for the period of about two hours after I had finished reading the book. The thing was, when I told my friends this about 90% of them send that they didn’t shed a single tear through the whole book. Others went further to say that they had never cried in any book, ever.

Personally, I cry in books all of the time. All for different reasons and whatnot, but I’m not afraid to admit it. So I’ve compiled a list of books that have made me cry over the years...
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix/Half-Blood Prince/Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Annexed by Sharon Dogar
Alice Bliss by Laura Harrington
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead (so many tears!)
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White (this was probably the first book that ever made me cry)

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment, though I’m sure there are others. Have you read any of those books? Did they make you cry at all? Are there any books that aren’t on that list that made you cry? You can answers these questions below, or talk about them on your own blog (if you do this then please send us the link, I’d love to hear from you).