22 Jan 2013

REVIEW: My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent



Title: My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Publication Date: August 1st 2009
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: Paperback
Pages: 279
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next
.
Review: I was worried when first starting this book, though now I look back I don’t know why as I can only find a couple of negative reviews, but whatever reason I was unsure whether I’d enjoy this book or not.

As it turns out, I didn’t have to be worried at all- the premise of this book is completely unlike anything I’ve ever read before, which I have to admit is rare for the YA genre (I’m sure many of you will agree.) Therefore this was a good start to the book, and for me it seemed only to get better. I was drawn into the world of the Soul Screamers straight away- I wanted to know more about Kaylee and where she had gotten this power from. I was very glad to learn that Kaylee wasn’t the one person in the world with this ‘gift’, therefore the book was able to steer clear from a couple of clichés.

Character-wise, I liked Kaylee well enough- most of the time I didn’t find her annoying and nothing she did or said had me wanting to stab her a couple of times with a fork. I really liked Nash and Tod though, especially their interactions with one another and with Kaylee.

I seriously regret not getting the rest of the series out from the library now because I can’t wait to read about what’s going to happen next.