10 Aug 2012

REVIEW: Nevermore by James Patterson


Title:  NEVERMORE (THE END OF MAXIMUM RIDE)
Author: James Patterson
Publication Date: 6th of August.
Publisher: Little Brown
Format: Ebook
Pages: 368
Rating: 1/5
Blurb: One last chance...
For Max, Fang, Angel, Iggy, Nudge, and Gazzy.
Before it all ends.

Are you ready for the final chapter? Are you ready for the ultimate flight? Because THIS IS IT. One last incredible, explosive adventure with an astonishing ending that no one could have seen coming.

Review: First of all, lets get this straight. I love the Maximum Ride series with all my heart. I love the Characters and I love James Patterson as a writer, and so I’m expressing my opinion without previous judgment. I am on both team Dylan and team Fang and my rating does not relate to Max not ending up with one of them, vice versa.  I am reviewing this book on how much it feels like a completion of a series and how it was wrapped up as a single book. Therefore, I am extremely disappointed.

Analyzing Language:
The way I see it, James Patterson does not care for this series. He just wants to get it down and over with and throw it away to focus on his bigger stories involving crime and justice. I adore his way of writing, as it reflects his characters perfectly with their witty comebacks and thoughts.  Some of his language is nicely written throughout the series, but overall it is satisfactory. In most places, he writes it like an amateur writer would (like stereotypical fanfiction). Like it’s his very first draft and that it must be good enough to just throw out into the writing world, and truly, I expected better.

Characters:
James Patterson has a way with characters that we cannot describe. It doesn’t even seem like he is the one writing this and that you’re actually inside someone else’s head. He creates memorable characters that stick with you forever, which has personal traits that personally I could never forget. Nudge, Gazzy and Iggy are amazingly created characters, which I would like to see more off. Angel, I do dislike. She was so stuck up herself that I wanted her just to be gone and done with it all. And I hated it how Max called her her “baby” which was totally unlike the character of max anyway. I understand that all characters change, but really, I fell in love with the first Fang, not the emotion expressing weirdo he has turned into now. I kept going between Dylan and Fang and I also realized that I do not like it when a character ends up with someone at the very start of the novel. Dylan’s character was sweet and kind but he did nothing to gain Max. Max just threw herself on him sometimes and I thought that was just ridiculous.

SPOILERS BEGIN HERE:
Dylan, (spoiler) after he went rampaging in the town angry at seeing Max and Fang together, he came back and didn’t do anything to win Max’s heart even after Angel, (Who came to be surprise and a disappointment as the voice) and at the very end of it all, he just shrugged and gave Max to Fang and that was all, along with all the other stupid cliff hangers involving the other characters.

The only thing I was happy about is when Maya died. I didn’t want Dylan to end with Maya and I was hoping that James Patterson wouldn’t do that and I’m glad he didn’t, because I would seriously kill him.

Max was supposed to save the world and so a tsunami came and they basically stood up and won over it, and she started as the new max and allowed the world turn into a human death parade.. She was supposed to harden her heart and she barely did anything to it.  I am so disappointed with this novel. It seemed more like a middle book than a last book to a series I loved.

PLOT:
Horrible. Just stop please. You did not answer any questions and the ones you did answer weren’t even completely rational answers, or good for that matter. Fang being immortal? Really. Do not bring immortality in with cheesy titles such as Nevermore. Please Patterson, do not write the books u won’t end up falling in love with, because truly, you ripped this up badly.