14 Jul 2012

REVIEW: Winter's Shadow by M.J Hearle



Title: Winter’s Shadow
Author: M.J Hearle
Publication Date: June 1st 2011
Publisher: Pan Macmillian Australia
Format: Paperback
Pages: 424
Rating: 4.6
Blurb: Blake Duchamp... 

He's all that Winter Adams can think of. Ever since their fateful meeting at Pilgrim's Lament. Ever since he looked at her with those emerald eyes. Ever since he saved her life. 

But Blake isn't all that he seems. There is a strangeness about him, something dark and otherworldly. Something dangerous. In his attic is a secret he would kill to defend, but Winter seems to have a special ability to make him forget his duty. And he is her only protection against the gathering darkness. 

The only problem is, to protect Winter, Blake must risk exposing her to an even greater danger. Himself

Review ( Non Spoiler):
WARNING: This book does not contain Werewolves, Vampires, fairies or other supernatural creatures you do know. If you’re not fine with that, then you should be! It's nice to see a change in the atmosphere around here. Go Australia!
  
At first, you might think this is just another Twilight book. Yes that's what i thought. Well, my librarian did actually say that if you like Twilight, then you would probably like this book. I do like Twilight but I was kind of sick of all those paranormal romance's that included a Plain Jane girl with a totally hot tall and handsome prince charming. I gave it try because I was my friend’s book adviser, as funny as it sounds XD. She only liked to read books like "Hush Hush by Becca Flitzpatrick" so i gave Winter's Shadow a try. Guess what? I Loved it.

Yes, i know, it starts of with every other paranormal romance book, and just when i thought i knew where it was going. BAM, i did not. There are small comparisons that can relate to twilight, but doesn't nearly every novel have some kind of form of that? I don't regret reading it at all. It's a fantastic read that i'm sure paranormal readers will enjoy. Hearle's writing was enjoyable and i had no trouble reading it. There was just enough description to set the scene and mood. I admit, i did get quite cranky when Hearle flitted back and forth through time periods, though the scenes weren't anything stupid at all. So i was utterly fine. I'm looking forward to Winter's Light, the next book in the series.

SPOILERS INCLUDED ( Only Read after completion ) 
Okay okay, it was pretty obvious that CLAUDETTE was stuck upstairs and that meant I realized things more then Plain Jane did over there. Though at the start, i just thought it was actually a monster when Hearle described her as "IT" and that did catch me. Also what caught me was the Skivers, and those, i love.
Interesting on how he came up with his new supernaturals! I love them but i did really wish the guy would not always say, "You should stay away from me! I'm a monster," and the girls reaction would be, "Your not a monster to me!" in a hand to forehead faint call. Why can't it be, "I'm a hot guy but most people think i'm a monster," an the girl, "You are such a Jerk, can't wait to rip your head off." Maybe that's just me? :O oh well though!