15 Jul 2012

REVIEW: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto ( CHAMI )



CHAMI'S REVIEW
Name: Halo – (The Halo Series #1)
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publication Date: August 31st, 2010
Publisher: Harper Collins
Format: Paperback
Pages: 496 pages
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: Three angels are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human. They work hard to conceal their luminous glow, their superhuman powers, and their wings. Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and they are unable to resist their attraction to each other. But the angels’ mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?

Review: I remember buying this book and then discovering that the author was from Australia and from my very own town, so I guess that’s what helped me begin with the Angels. I have read several Angel series and I don’t mind them…but they do have their separate clichés that drive me crazy. So I decided to give this one a try.

Alexandra Adornetto’s writing style is lacey and very intricate and I feel like that’s a good and bad factor in this book. She has made it clear that that is her writing style and I hope for her sake, that it is truly her and that she’s not just doing that for the public, so they won’t criticize her in that side…though they will always find a way. But I don’t really mind because I normally skim read long chunks of description if the Author has gone to “Full out” on it…but an author should focus on that less than the story, but I’m not even an Author so just ignore me. So her writing style is a 3 out of 5 for me. She has her way of words but unless it really astounds me, then I won’t really comment on it.

Alexandra can tell a good story and has managed to kick most of the clichés away, but she also has discovered how to cuddle them in the process. Bethany, however, is somehow clichéd in her own part. She can be whiney, annoying and totally dependent on a guy just to survive. At one part of the book, she even goes out of her way to make herself rot to death in her own bed because Xavier does not believe her in matters that contain spoilers. That is not very…comforting that the character can’t withhold her own life without someone else intercepting. Overall, she is quite enjoyable…but unrealistic at times.

Xavier, the boy we know she’s going to fall for is a good interpretation of a high school boy and that is what I wanted to see. He is different to all the other romantic interests in other novels in the sense that he shows more realistic emotions, but I’m not all about realism, I quite like the paranormal.

The Story is Great and I especially like the addition of Jake and him coming in quite late to the novels opening…which Alexandra has successfully transferred. I was surprised by that because I always expected another love interest to come in for the 2nd book if not mixed into the middle-start 1st book.

I’ve read Hades and I do really love that book so I can’t wait to post a review. Thanks guys!

Xoxo Chami.