14 Jul 2012

REVIEW: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank


Title: The Diary of a Young Girl (The definitive edition)
Author: Anne Frank
Publication Date: March 30th, 2000 (First published 1947)
Publisher: Penguin Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 368 pages
Rating: 5/5
Blurb: Since its publication in 1947, Anne Frank's Diary has been read by tens of millions of people. This Definitive Edition restores substantial material omitted from the original edition, giving us a deeper insight into Anne Frank's world. Her curiosity about her emerging sexuality, the conflicts with her mother, her passion for Peter, a boy whose family hid with hers, and her acute portraits of her fellow prisoners reveal Anne as more human, more vulnerable and more vital than ever.
Review: 
This book honestly changed my life and views on the world more than I thought it possibly could. I wanted to read this book for weeks so when I found it on my local library shelves and took it one- I read the first two hundred pages within the first hour.

I was amazed as to how amazing and heartbreaking it was, as a history student I knew about the Holocaust but reading Anne Frank’s description made it seem even more real and gave a first-hand insight into the thoughts of the Jewish during the war.

Certain diary entries within this had me putting down the book for a while and really thinking about how frightening the whole ordeal would have been for a thirteen year old girl. The situations she faced while being hidden away reflected some of the situations I had personally been in which allowed me to relate to Anne Frank despite the difference between the societies.

I believe that everyone should read this book once in a lifetime, despite the difference in our world compared to that of Anne Frank’s. All in all, Anne Frank was an amazing teenage girl for suffering through everything that she did that ultimately gave us an incredibly moving piece of history.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am a new follower from GoodReads. I would love a follow back at http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Candace,

    I actually followed you last night via Goodreads but thank you so much for following us!

    Ely

    ReplyDelete